Okoban, the Global Solution for Lost & Found, was founded to help people recover lost or misplaced property. We know that you care about how your personal information is used and shared, and we take your privacy very seriously. By visiting the Okoban website, you are accepting the practices outlined in this policy.
We only collect personal information that is relevant to the purpose of our website. This information allows us to provide you with a customized and efficient service and experience. We collect the following types of information:
We receive and store any information you enter on our website or provide to us in any other way. You can always choose not to provide us with certain information, but then you may be unable to use certain features on our website.
In order for you to use Okoban services you must create an account. We took great care to ensure the mandatory information required to create an account is the absolute minimum.
3. Registered Items:
Okoban also allows you to provide additional information about an item you care about, such as brand, model, serial number, etc. that might be useful should the item be lost. In addition, you may choose to upload photos of your items. As indicated below, in the section titled “Sharing Your Information”, you can control how your information is displayed and used.
4. Automatic Information:
With your prior approval, we receive and store certain types of information whenever you interact with us. Okoban and its authorized agents automatically receive and record certain “traffic data” on their server logs from your browser including your IP address, Okoban cookie information, and the page you requested. Okoban uses this traffic data to help diagnose problems with its servers, analyze trends and administer and improve the website.
We collect information to make our service useful and relevant for you. We collect registration and user profile data. Our servers also log information used to improve the website.
Cookies are alphanumeric identifiers that are stored in your computer’s hard drive. They help us understand how and when pages in our website are visited. Okoban will always ask your permission before storing cookies on your computer’s hard drive. Note that your permission might be saved in cookies, so we don’t need to request it in case of multiple visits. Okoban cookies do not collect personal information, and we do not combine information collected through cookies with other personal information. Information regarding our cookies might be found on our dedicated webpage www.okoban.com/cookies. We recommend that you accept Okoban’s cookies to make full use of www.okoban.com.
Our system will ask you to accept cookies from Okoban so that it remembers you. We recommend that you agree to this. It is safe.
Okoban is very concerned about your privacy and we will never provide your e-mail address to a third party without your explicit permission, as detailed in the “Sharing Your Information” section below. Okoban may send out e-mails with Okoban-related news, products, offers, or surveys. You may also receive notification e-mails from Okoban, such as a found item alert. We will do our best to keep communication to only what is really necessary.
We will send you e-mails based on your profile settings. If necessary, we may send e-mails to all our users.
Sharing your information
Because Okoban enables people to privately exchange information with one another, information about the people who use Okoban is an integral part of the Okoban service and experience. We will share your personal information only as described below:
1. Personnel: Okoban personnel and authorized consultants and/or contractors may, subject to strict duty of confidentiality, have access to user information required to carry out their business duties.
2. Airlines, Airports and Security Agencies: Your information may be shared with airlines, airports and security agencies to facilitate handling of your luggage or other registered items solely for operational and/or security reasons such as returning your property or facilitating checked baggage security screening.
3. Business Transfers: In some cases, we may choose to buy assets from other companies or sell assets to other companies. User information might be part of these kind of transactions. Moreover, if Okoban, or substantially all of its assets, were acquired, user information would be one of the assets that are transferred.
4. Protection of Okoban and Others: We may release personal information when that release is necessary to comply with the law; to enforce or apply our Terms and Conditions of Use or to protect the rights, property or safety of Okoban, our employees, our users, or others.
5. With Your Consent: Except as noted above, we will contact you when your personal information is shared with third parties or used for a purpose incompatible with the purpose(s) for which it was originally collected, and you will be able to opt out to prevent the sharing of this information.
We do not sell your information to anyone. However, we may release information to authorities where required by law or to airlines, airports and security agencies only for operational and/or security reasons.
Keeping information secure
We collect, process and maintain Customer Information in the United States, with the support of certified US companies under the US-Swiss and US-EU Safe Harbor Framework. We will ask your approval prior to transferring your data to a server different than the one mentioned in this “Keeping Information Secure” section. We will only store your data in servers located in countries where the legislation provides adequate data protection according to Swiss and European legal requirements.
1. Your Okoban account information is stored in a secured server located in the USA, operated by certified US companies under the US-Swiss and US-EU Safe Harbor Framework and protected by a password for your privacy and security.
2. It is your duty to protect yourself against unauthorized access to your password and to your computer by logging off once you have finished using a shared computer.
3. Only employees who need personal information to perform a specific job (for example, a customer service representative) are granted access to this information. All of our employees are kept up to date on our privacy and security practices, and are subject to a strict obligation of confidentiality.
Your data is stored in safe locations and is protected.
Ways to control display and use of your information
1. As stated above, the website requires very little information and most of the information that you can add is non-mandatory. If you choose not to add optional information, you may not be able to use certain features of our website.
2. By visiting your User Profile on www.okoban.com, you can correct, amend, add or delete personal information.
3. If you do not wish to receive promotional e-mails from us, please follow the instructions in your profile page.
4. You will continue to receive all system e-mails (e.g. those regarding forgotten user passwords) and legal notices (e.g. updates to our policies) from us as long as you will remain a user of Okoban.
You can choose not to share information with us, but your experience of the website may be limited. Until your account is deleted, you may receive system e-mails.
Persons under 18 years of age
You must be 14 years and older to register to use the Okoban website. As a result, Okoban does not specifically collect information about children. If we learn that Okoban has collected information from a child under the age of 13, we will delete that information as quickly as possible. We recommend that minors between the ages of 14 and 18 ask and receive their parents’ permission before using Okoban or sending information about themselves or anyone else over the Internet.
Please register only when you are 18 or older, or ask your parents’ permission if you are between 14 and 18.
Condition of use
Contacting Okoban SA
© 2015 Okoban SA. All rights reserved